Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Chicken Barley Soup
This is one of my most favourite soups and the one I go to when someone in my family is starting to feel under the weather. It's simply home.
Chicken Barley Soup (Serves 4)
- 4 legs of chicken
- 1 cooking onion chopped
- 1 cup of cut carrots or baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup of barley (they grow!)
- 10 or so fresh basil leafs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 lemon
- Combine chicken, onions, carrots, salt, pepper, turmeric and cover with water in a large pot
- Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Take chicken out and set aside in a casserole dish for broiling (*second course which I like to serve with rice and salad).
- Add barley, basil, tomato paste, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, stir and let simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
Hot and delicious every time!
*This recipe works just as well with noodles substituted for barley